Talking To The Universe Like a Crazy Person

March 26, 2014

I really don’t know how to talk about this in a way that doesn’t sound insane. Or California fruity to the nth degree. Maybe it’s that East Coast education, but I generally try to keep my severe Church of Hippie leanings under wraps.

That said, there’s this thing I do. I really don’t know how to explain it, but if I’m going to write a blog post about it, I guess I have to try. When I have a question or more emotions than I know how to manage, I’ll sit down at my computer. Sometimes my questions are profound, sometimes they have to do with my to-do list. Then I’ll just start typing. When I read it back, it doesn’t quite sound like it came from me. It’s smarter and wiser and kinder, but has worse grammar and often misspells things. It feels like whatever this is has a better sense of the truth, a better understanding, more love, more wisdom, just more than I could possibly have with my limited senses and smallish, underused cerebellum. I remove myself and my brain from the process and just allow the information to flow through my fingers. Some of my favorite things have been written this way. I’m learning to tap into that and the more I practice, the easier it comes.

Sometimes when I start typing, this flow of information causes an emotional or physical reaction. There’s an energy to it. My nose will tingle or tears will start running down my face. It’s like all my senses get involved and something shifts energetically. It’s not even so much about the words, it’s more about the feeling.

When this happens, it really starts to feel like it’s coming from somewhere other than me. I know how that sounds. Because, what – am I channeling spirits? Aliens? The universe? If you google this type of writing, it sounds desperately flaky at best and charlatan-infested at worst. The cited wikipedia example is a woman who translates Martian messages into French. Which, let’s be real, would be amazing and I definitely want to see that.

But I’m learning to guide my life by what feels good – because we’re all just making it up as we go, so why not go toward what feels good? I’ve tried following the things that make me feel bad and I never end up in a place I want to be. And this feels good. It feels powerful, it feels energetic, it feels useful, and it feels loving. So I ask my questions. Because sometimes that’s all you can do: ask and trust that the answer that boomerangs back to you is the right one.

Recently, I started doing this writing for friends. Doing this on a bigger scale feels a little scary, a little vulnerable. But that’s what I’m trying to play with right now. Opening up to who I really am and trusting that the people who need this and who think it makes some sort of sense will find it and everyone else will just click away to the next thing on this infinite internet of ours.

But still, I think I’d rather take my clothes off in public than say I type messages from the universe. SEE? THAT’S WEIRD.

Calling All Guinea Pigs

Want to help me find out if this is really a thing?

If you’re game to be a guinea pig, email me with a question. (Click the “Send me a pandagram” box in the sidebar.) Or leave it in the comments. I would love to do this for you. I honestly don’t know what I need or what works. So far I’ve done it just with people’s names, but these are friends and I have some background knowledge of them. You can try sending me any burning questions you have. Or your first name and a little about your life and where you want some clarity. I’ll sit down with whatever I get and see what comes. Obviously, I have zero training and am not a coach or a doctor or anyone with any respectable letters after her name. All I know is that what I’ve written has been useful for me and seems to be useful for the people I’ve done it for.

If you’re willing to let me publish your question and answer here, let me know. (If you’d rather keep it private, that’s okay too.)I’d love to do this once a week on the blog for awhile, just to see how it lands. Maybe I’ll even give it a snappy name, although I am admittedly terrible at coming up with snappy names.

Have a question? Need some clarity? Let me know and I’ll apply my weird voodoo to it and see what I come up with for you. It may or may not give you any answers, but it will probably make you feel better.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Jenn March 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Ummm this is great. Count me in. Talk to me about my love life because the Universe owes me some answers.

Sarah March 26, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Have you heard Elizabeth Gilbert speak about the muse? I know she did the NPR rounds a few years ago talking about it and I think she touches on it in her TED talk.
I remember her talking about a poet (whose name I don’t remember) who was also a farmer, sometimes a poem would come to her in the field and she would have to run to the house before it was gone to write it. Sometimes she made it sometimes she didn’t. Eventually, she would tell the poem that if it wanted to get written, this was not a good time and come back later. I love the idea of a song or a poem or a piece of advice just being out there and looking for a person to write it into existence.
I would love you to write me something on whether I should commit to a boring (but fine) job that will give me time to be a foster parent or continue to work at a really fun, really stressful job that eats all my time…

Caelan Huntress March 26, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Let me start with a disclaimer, Amber: I have to keep my own hippie secrets under wraps, too. It sketches people out if they know that I dance around bonfires on the Solstice, I hug trees when I need solace, and my morning meditations are cosmic interactions.

So, I applaud you for taking to your blog to explore this channel you’re opening.

I know plenty of people who access their intuition this way. My friend Mikaela Jones (http://mikaelajones.com) gives Angel Readings just like that: you send her a question, she does her woo-woo thing, sits in front of a keyboard, and writes the answers as they come to her from above.

When we write, and we achieve that state of clarity known as trance, the ego gets out of the way.

All that’s left when this happens is your Higher Self. Some people call it your Holy Guardian Angel, some call it the Voice of God speaking through them; I like to think that it’s still you, just “smarter and wiser and kinder, but has worse grammar and often misspells things.”

That’s how I think of angels.

If you’ve found a channel to let your angel talk through you, then have that conversation, and have it often. There is glory and beatitude in there.

Tori March 26, 2014 at 10:50 pm

There are two of us interested!- Tori and Raghu

Helen March 27, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Amber you are AWESOME, because you’ve just written down what I think all. the. time.

I find thoughts coming to me about things quite disconnected from me, and they are true and right – more so than conscious (head) thought. But you’re taking it to a whole other level.

You’ll love Laura Borland (lauraborland.com) – she’s coached me with the same sense of ‘follow your feelings’. Read ‘Blink’ and ‘Thinking Fast and Slow’ (maybe you have). And what’s coming out of http://www.spiceframework.com/welcome/ is taking our hippie shit to a corporate level. I have a physical and emotional reaction to the framework’s ability to take conscious and subconscious thought, culture and values and apply them to the world.

You’re awesome. Thanks for sharing your gift and well done for exploring and harnessing it x

Crystal W March 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I’ve tried something similar writing in a notebook – who knows where it comes from, but it’s pretty cool!

I’d love for you to give my current conundrum a go. I want to move back to Florida. Like… a lot. I’ve been trying pretty much everything to get the financial and other pieces into place so I can, but I still seem to be stuck in Missouri. Point me in the right direction please, universe!

(And yep, that is totally the e-mail address that I’ve had since I was 14 that I left in the comment info box thingy. I’m cool like that.)

Audra Wilke April 4, 2014 at 9:23 am

Sign me up, sister! I would LOVE to see what comes out. :)

Laurie May 4, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I clicked on the pandagram and my default email is not set up properly, so I will ask you here in the comment section – so here it goes – when will things get better? I feel like there’s this nameless something always lurking in the background, I don’t know what it is but it’s making long for the days when I was happy, and that was a long time ago. I feel such a big disconnect with the things I used to love – film, theatre, bookstores, going out. Maybe it’s just the aging process (I’m almost 54) and I hate to think that my best days are behind me.